Thursday, January 1, 2009

Journeying South.




I had meant to leave in the afternoon and get some distance under my belt but I was faffing around with making curtains for the van which Alex had removed cause he said that they were disgusting and mouldy and he had thrown them away. I drew out some outlines of NZ on the black out fabric and went over it with a red pen. it looked quite funky especially when I went a bit wrong and I redrew the line. I had to stock up on stuff and spent the day driving around Auckland making sure that I had a sleeping bag and a small stove and other things like super noodles and jam!

It was about 8.30pm before I was ready to leave and called home in the UK to let them know that I was about to go off. It was already dark by the time I set off and I then realised that I had left my shoes on the bedroom floor and after a quick phone call went back to Penel's house to collect them before I actually left Auckland! I traveled for about 2 hours before I stopped for a bit and ate and drank a little before thinking about stopping somewhere for the night. I consulted the map and I saw a small town about an hour and a half away called Cambridge that had a motor camp I journeyed on and I was a little unsure about how to feel about it all... I was just going through it. I was a little nervous and also excited but muddled in there was slight tiredness and hunger with a 'better get on with it' attitude. I pressed on and came to this motor camp but, of course it was closed and had been for several hours... things had stopped being in the 24 hr culture that I had come to rely on in the city. I needed the loo really badly but thought that if I found a bush at 11.30pm and found someone else too. I might come to a sticky end. It seemed a nice enough neighbourhood for everything seemed to be kept nicely, there was very little litter and once I stopped and got out of the van I realised the air smelt fresh like newly mown grass and rain mixed up together. The temperature was cool and there was not a sound from anywhere. I saw a sign for public toilets and followed it, but only to come back to the van about 10 mins later only having found a lawn bowling club, tennis courts and a really beautiful band stand lit from a distance on what I assumed must have been the local playing fields. After I had braved the 'peeing in a bush'. I quickly made my way out of the town, feeling slightly guilty for soiling such a well kept and seemingly nice place. I found a 24hr garage and decided to stop there after I had rejected the VERY quiet road by a lake that lead to a power station nearby. I shut the curtains and jumped slightly every time a car went past. I had drawn my curtains but I could still see the light peeking through the gaps at the corners of my now fairly cosy van. I had made a little nest and I was feeling more and more at home and more at ease the longer I was there. I had locked myself in and unless I stuck my head out nobody knew that I was there. Snug as a bug in a rug eh! It was by now close to 2 am so I text Penel as she asked me to do once I had stopped somewhere and asked her to text back when she would get it the next day so I could say that I was alright and I settled down in my new bed for the night.





It was close to 9.30 when I woke and there were more cars parked about me today than there had been the night before. I walked into the shop and cafe, used the facilities, washed my face and I was on my way again. I debated going to Rotarua to see the hot pools before I went south but chose not to in favour of spending time in wellington once I had got there. A I went on an eye on a stalk at the roadside caught my attention. It was brightly coloured and had a globe painted where the iris should have been. Then I spotted the warehouse up the hill it had 'Corrugated Creations' emblazoned across it. The next town I came to was Tirau and I could not believe my eyes.. nearly every shop sign, and building had some corrugated creation as its sign or even the building itself was made out of it in some wacky form... I saw a sheep and a dog which was the visitor centre and an ice cream and a octopus all made from corrugated iron. My first stop of the day was at lake Tapo then just past the mountains south of the lake cause Dad called me and he asked me where I was and I consulted the map and came back with Mt Doom! I didn't realise but the map had the locations of where the Lord of the Rings was filmed. I was indeed near there but it was called Ngarahoe instead. I was impressed by the landscape and often stopped to take pictures or held the camera out of the window and tried to hold it level while driving along.




The landscape became more and more flat farm land and it wasn't until I was close to Wellington that I had a proper leg stretch. I felt sticky and I was tired and so decided to stop at Camborne to go to the loo and have a snack. I found a rest area which there were plenty of along the major routes. Sometimes they were just a spot to pull out of the way of a traffic but often they had a basic loo and maybe even a shop. This one was by an inlet an as I went in and I spotted a shower. It was open to the whole room and only had a tap control and I was pretty sure that it was cold water but it was so tempting... I nipped to the car and found a towel, shower stuff and a change of clothing and after a quick glance in the direction of the road to see if anyone was coming I made a dash for it. I stripped off and turned on the tap, carefully I covered my towel and new set of clothes with the discarded set and washed vigorously! The water was cold and it was so refreshing. The shower was totally exposed to the rest of the room and I hoped no one would just walk in because they would have a shock. I giggled to myself at this thought as I dried my skin and pulled on the relatively crisp new clothes... lovely!
Next stop, Wellington! I pulled into a car park and thought that I should be able to find food and be back to the car within 30 mins. I grabbed my 'Lonely Planet' and headed in a direction. I found a street name and then with my backpack to the nearest wall out of the way of the pedestrian traffic I found where I was on the map. I had a few options and decided to head for the cheaper 'cafe' options and see what I could on the way. It was really windy and the city commuters who should have looked slick and smarty turned out had a more than slightly windswept look about them. I stomped purposefully towards Cuba St checking the novel sized guidebook every now and again making sure that I was on the right path. I walked passed several cafes and alternative shops and the local news TV reporter lit and made up (for what reason I have no idea) and found one of the recommended places "Midnight Expresso' the pierced and chilled out serving staff were friendly and the cafe was great, darkly lit for it went far back past the shop front before you came to the counter... And there were CAKES and buns of all descriptions. I was seduced and decided to opt for the vegan chocolate cake with marigolds stuck into the thick frosting. I ordered a cappuccino and a slice of said cake to take away. This was all well and good but I was getting really hungry and after two days of eating sandwiches I needed something more substantial. I passed a Kebab shop and the smell was to die for so I came away from Cuba st with a Kebab and rice and cake... bloomin' good meal too! I had realised that I wasn't going to get back to the car in 30 mins fairly early on in my search for food so I was taking the sights in and wandered back. I arrived 8 mins after the full hour and so was horrified to find that I was being charged for an hour and a half of parking at $5 a time! shocking prices! I now had to find somewhere to kill time and this car park was not the place to do it. My ferry was at 1.50 am and it was about 6pm. I drove to the inter-island ferry terminal and rocked up at the check in desk and apologised for being so early...
'we might be able to squeeze you onto the 8 pm crossing, but I don't fancy your chances, we have a limit on how many people we can take.'
"that's okay. I can wait... I have no where to go when I get to the other side anyway!'
So I was instructed to pull up nearby and I chose a spot with the bay view. I enjoyed my slightly cold kebab and sniffed the cake, YUM! As the daylight slowly disappeared and twilight fell the wind got up and my van was being shaken and buffeted about. With 6 hours to kill I read and platted together the spare strips of blackout material to hold the curtains close to the windows, called dad and Penel and enjoyed being stationary.

No comments: